A full cookie jar is a must during the summer, especially when you’re having gatherings and parties with homemade ice cream. Store-bought cookies are definitely not suitable, so now’s the time to expand your cookie recipe repertoire to include some decadent cookies that everyone will love and that will go with that homemade ice cream and serve as good snacks. Double Chocolate Cranberry Walnut Drops are decadent, go well with ice cream, and keep extremely well if not immediately devoured. The texture is soft and chewy, and they are especially good warm, since the chocolate stays melty for a day or two.
These cookies are addicting, and dried cherries can be substituted for the cranberries for a different flavor. The big bonus is that they are easy drop cookies and take very little hands-on time. Make sure you use good cocoa, such as Dutch cocoa rather than the light colored cocoa that is on most grocery shelves – it really does make a difference. The really good chocolate chips with 60% cacao are especially good in this recipe (and no fake chocolate chips please), and it goes without saying that you shouldn’t substitute margarine for the butter.
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Measure the flour, cocoa powder baking soda and salt into a fine strainer set over the butter/sugar mixture; shake the mixture through and mix well.
- Fold in the walnuts, cranberries, and chocolate chips.
- Drop or scoop tablespoons onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 9-13 minutes or until just set – make sure you don’t overbake.
- Remove from the oven and let sit five minutes before transferring to cooling racks.
- When cool, store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 153 Calories from Fat 71
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 47% Protein 4% Carb. 49%
Nutrient Amount per Cookie
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 142 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%