Almost Hannah's Cocoa-Crunch Cookies Recipe
The Christmas Cake Murder is well-written, the characters, which most readers of the series are already familiar with, are well-developed, and it is a fast read. There is suspense, as the main characters find themselves in danger, and as is typical in cozy mysteries, there is no graphic violence, language or sex. The following recipe, adapted from this fun culinary mystery, is for crunchy, chocolately cookies with a mystery ingredient to add crunch. Almost Hannah’s Cocoa-Crunch Cookies have more chocolate than the original recipe, and the instructions have been streamlined for modern cooks.
If you love desserts, and want some new recipes with a fun mystery, you’ll want to pick up this novel and can nibble on the following cookies while reading.
Makes about 80 2” cookies
1 1/2 cups softened butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch
1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed plain potato chips, (measure after crushing)
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, preferably 60% cacao
Sugar for flattening the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line several baking sheets with parchment or Silpat.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light; beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Place a fine strainer over the mixture and measure the flour, salt, and cocoa powder into the strainer; shake the mixture through.
- Mix on low speed until the mixture forms a stiff dough.
- Stir in the potato chips and chocolate chips.
- Scoop tablespoon-size balls from the mixture, quickly roll them in your hands to even them out, and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
- Press a flat-bottomed glass onto one of the cookies (to make the sugar stick), then dip the glass in sugar and flatten the cookies.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms are brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to cooling racks.
- When cool, store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Freeze for longer storage.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 83 Calories from Fat 44
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 53% Protein 3% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 58 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.