Slow Cooker Persian Rice Pudding Recipe
After tweaking it a bit, and relying on my Official Hancock Tasters, I am pleased to offer my version of Slow Cooker Persian-Style Rice Pudding. I found that using a vegetable peeler to take the orange rind off in one long strip makes it easier to remove after cooking. You can also grate the rind very finely with a MicroPlane if you prefer. Also, rosewater is available at specialty grocers or online and you can substitute orange flower water if you like.
1/2 cup basmati rice
3 cups skim milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
Rind of 1 orange
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rosewater
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Chopped pistachio nuts
- Measure the rice, milk, cream, sugar, orange rind, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla into a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Whisk the ingredients to combine.
- Cover, turn the slow cooker to high, and let cook 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. If you have time, stir a couple of times during cooking; if not, it's okay.
- Stir in the rosewater and almond extract.
- To serve, scoop the pudding into serving dishes and sprinkle with pistachios and almonds.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 103
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 43% Protein 8% Carb. 49%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
Sodium 131 mg
Total Carbohydrate 30 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 13% Calcium 0% Iron 4%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.