Devil Pie Recipe
If you don’t want to make pomegranate curd, you can certainly make any flavor that is red, such as raspberry, strawberry, cherry – you get the picture. All of these flavors go well with chocolate, so this dessert will be a hit at your annual Halloween BOO-ffet.
4 egg whites, (you'll use the yolks in the Pomegranate curd)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
3 ounces pomegranate juice
1/4 cup butter
Red gel paste food coloring
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 225º.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and draw 2 8" circles on the parchment.
- Chocolate Meringue: Beat the egg whites until frothy; with the mixer on high, gradually beat in the granulated sugar.
- Continue beating until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Measure the cocoa powder and powdered sugar into a fine strainer set over the mixture; shake through.
- Carefully fold the chocolate mixture into the stiff egg whites until fairly smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the two circles and smooth out.
- Bake 60 minutes. Turn off the oven and let sit two hours.
- Pomegranate Curd: Whisk together the egg yoks and sugar; add the pomegranate juice and butter.
- Microwave 2 minutes; stir until smooth, and add several drops food coloring to make the mixture a bright red.
- Microwave an additional 2 minutes or just under boiling and when it coats a spoon; remove from the microwave and pour into a strainer set over a bowl.
- Press through, place a piece of plastic wrap on the curd, and let cool.
- Chocolate Whipped Cream: Whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Place the Dutch Cocoa Powder and powdered sugar in a fine strainer set over the cream; shake through and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Assembly: Place a meringue layer on a serving platter. Cover with half of the chocolate whipped cream. Spread with half of the pomegranate curd.
- Top with the remaining meringue layer, then chocolate whipped cream, then the remaining pomegranate curd.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 340 Calories from Fat 190
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 56% Protein 5% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 133 mg
Sodium 126 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.