Buttery Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
The cake for this delicious dessert is one that I have used often after finding it in a Banana cookbook and adapting it to my own methods. The cake is buttery and delicious, and perfect under the sweet/tart rhubarb topping. It’s difficult to eat just one serving. One of my Official Hancock tasters, my son-in-law, ate a full half of the cake when he first tasted it, and that’s fine with me; there were absolutely no leftovers. Serve it with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
4 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch squares
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/3 cups softened butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Spray a 9" deep dish pie dish with nonstick spray (or use a 9" square baking dish).
- Make the topping: Place the rhubarb in a large bowl; add the sugar, flour, salt, and cardamom. and mix well.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie dish.
- Cake: Cream the butter and sugars until very light; add the eggs and vanilla.
- Measure the self-rising flour, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt into a fine strainer set over the butter mixture; shake through.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix until smooth; spread over the rhubarb mixture.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges and invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature. with a scoop of sweetened whipped cream or a sprinkling of powdered sugar. Will keep a day or two in stored in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 404 Calories from Fat 228
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 56% Protein 3% Carb. 41%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 101 mg
Sodium 517 mg
Total Carbohydrate 41 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 4%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.