Patriotic Puffs Recipe
I love serving these filled with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries because not only are they delicious, but they give the dessert a Patriotic theme which is perfect for those who love America. Serve these Patriotic Puffs for Armed Forces Day, Flag Day, Memorial Day, and the Fourth of July. Actually, they are good any time of year, and you can use any fruit that is available at the time.
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
2 cups fresh berries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or Silpat.
- Place the water, butter, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- When the butter has melted, add the flour all at once and stir over medium heat until all moisture is absorbed and the mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate.
- Remove from heat and dump into a mixing bowl with a K-hook; let the machine run a minute or two to cool the mixture slightly.
- With the mixer running, beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is smooth (you can do this by hand, if you don't want to use your mixer). Scrape the mixture into a decorating bag.
- Squeeze the choux paste onto the prepared baking sheet into balls about the size of golf balls.
- Use a wet finger to smooth the tops so they are not pointy.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until puffed. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, mix the berries with the 1/2 cup sugar. Stir well and let sit.
- Whip the heavy cream with the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Assembly: Cut each puff almost in half through the middle; open up and fill with dollops of whipped cream, then berries.
- Fold the top over, sprinkle with a little powdered sugar, and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 220 Calories from Fat 106
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 7% Carb. 45%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
Sodium 161 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 23% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.