Italian Saffioni Abruzzesi Recipe
The tops of these yummy pastries are a bit irregular, so don’t expect your treats to come out perfectly beautiful. No one will care, and they will be devoured immediately. They are perfect for brunch, as well as snacks.
2 2/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 to 3 tablespoons water, as needed
4 eggs, separated
2 cups ricotta cheese
10 tablespoons granulated sugar, (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 12 muffin cups liberally with non-stick spray.
- Crust: Measure the flour, salt, and granulated sugar into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 2 or 3 times to combine.
- Add the eggs and olive oil and process until it looks like cornmeal.
- With the motor running, gradually add enough water to bring the dough together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead into a ball; divide the ball into six equal portions and roll each into a ball.
- If the dough is too soft to roll out, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour. Roll each of the balls into a circle about 6" in diameter and fit each into the prepared muffin cups.
- Filling: Place the egg yolks in a small bowl and the egg whites in a separate bowl; beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the ricotta to the egg yolks, 10 tablespoons granulated sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice to the egg yolks; stir until fairly smooth (there may be a few puffs of egg white and this is as it should be).
- Assembly: scoop about 1/3 cup filling into each of the crust-lined muffin cups; fold the dough loosely over the filling.
- Bake 30 -35 minutes or until they are golden and the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven, tilt the pastries so they can cool, place the pan on a cooling racks, and cool thoroughly.
- When cool, remove from the muffin cups and dust with powdered sugar.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 323 Calories from Fat 119
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 37% Protein 13% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 127 mg
Sodium 164 mg
Total Carbohydrate 40 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.