1 1/2 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/4 pounds mascarpone cheese
5 eggs, separated, at room temperature
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/2 cup strong espresso
1/4 cup rum, or brandy
unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 11 x 17" jelly roll pan with non-stick spray; line with parchment and spray the parchment.
- Cake: Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add water, oil, and egg yolks; beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar separately until whites are stiff but not dry; gradually fold the whites into the cake batter, folding gently with a rubber spatula until just blended. The mixture will have a few lumps, but that is as it should be.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes, or until the cake springs back in the center when lightly touched with a finger.
- Remove from the oven and let cool thoroughly.
- Cut several small ghosts from the sponge cake, pipe eyes on the ghosts with black decorating gel, and set aside.
- Filling: Beat the mascarpone in a small bowl until soft. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks with the sugar (reserving 1 tablespoon), until the mixture is pale yellow and fluffy. Gradually beat in the softened mascarpone.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture.
- Assembly: Line a 8" x 12" shallow baking dish with sponge cake.
- Add the reserved sugar to the espresso, and stir in the rum or brandy; sprinkle the espresso mixture over the sponge cake--it should be moist but not saturated.
- Cover with half of the egg mixture.
- Make another layer of sponge cake moistened with espresso, and cover with the remaining egg mixture. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- Top with the reserved ghosts. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour, preferably more, before serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 410 Calories from Fat 144
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 15% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 142 mg
Sodium 521 mg
Total Carbohydrate 50 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.