Innkeeper's Pie Recipe
Although the chocolate layer is put over the top of the pie, it magically sinks to the bottom so there are three layers of yummy pie. It’s different and good.
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 9" unbaked pie shell
Sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- While the oven is heating, place the walnuts in the oven and toast them, about 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven and chop.
- Chocolate Layer: Measure the water into a small saucepan; bring the water to a boil.
- Add the baking chocolate and let sit until softened; stir well.
- Add the sugar and turn on the heat; bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and add the butter and vanilla; stir until the butter has melted and set the mixture aside.
- Cake Layer: Cream the 1/4 cup softened butter and 3/4 cup sugar; beat in the egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Place a fine strainer over the mixture; measure the flour, baking powder, and salt into the strainer and shake through.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the milk and mix well; transfer the mixture to the unbaked pie shell and smooth the top.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cake batter and sprinkle with the nuts.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool thoroughly before cutting into 8 wedges.
- Top each wedge with sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 519 Calories from Fat 250
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 5% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 28 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 461 mg
Total Carbohydrate 61 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 19 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.