Caramelized Cream Cheese Apple Pie
You can use your favorite cooking apples in this pie; some suggestions: Granny Smith since they’re a bit tart, Gala, Golden Delicious, Jonathan, or even Cosmic Crisp (a new favorite). The base is citrus, so this isn’t a cinnamon apple type pie and can be served year round rather than just in the fall. The cream cheese makes for a different texture, which is fabulous. Although the recipe suggests a graham cracker crust, this pie is also great in a regular homemade pastry-type pie crust.
1/2 cup butter
4 cups peeled, cored and thinly sliced apples
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
1 dash salt
2 egg yolks
4 ounces cream cheese
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1 9" graham cracker crust
sweetened whipped cream
- Caramelized Apples: Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the apples and cook and stir until they begin to soften and begin to brown.
- Stir in the brown sugar and stir until it is dissolved; continue cooking, stirring often, until the apples are tender and the liquid is mostly absorbed. Remove from the heat.
- Filling: Measure the water, sugar, cornstarch, orange juice concentrate, salt, and egg yolks into a bullet blender or blender.
- Blend until smooth and pour into a microwave safe glass measuring cup or bowl; microwave 2 minutes; whisk until smooth.
- Microwave an additional 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cream cheese and whisk until melted.
- Fold the mixture into the caramelized apples; set aside to cool.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy.
- With the mixer running, gradually add the sugar.
- Scrape the sides and continue beating until the mixture is thick and forms peaks when the beater is lifted.
- Fold the mixture into the apple mixture and transfer to the graham cracker crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and chill.
- To serve, pipe whipped cream decoratively over the top of on each piece of pie. Garnish with mint and apple slices.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 489 Calories from Fat 208
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 42% Protein 3% Carb. 54%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
Sodium 333 mg
Total Carbohydrate 66 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 23% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.