Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
This cake is quick and easy to mix up; no mixer needed, and it comes out perfectly every time. It’s special enough that you’ll want to use the best chocolate you can find with at least 60 percent cacao. If you must, you can use semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup = about 7 ounces or 200 grams), but make sure the chocolate chips are high quality (check the label to make sure they don’t contain a bunch of additives) and are real chocolate and not just chocolate flavored. Incidentally, this cake is gluten free, so almost everyone can enjoy it.
7 ounces semisweet chocolate, or bittersweet chocolate preferably 60+ cacao, broken into pieces (200 grams)
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
7 ounces semisweet chocolate, or bittersweet chocolate, preferably 60+ cacao, broken into pieces (200 grams)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spray an 8" round cake pan with Baker's Joy or other °non-stick spray with flour; line with parchment and spray the parchment.
- Cake: Place the chocolate and butter in a large glass microwaveable bowl (I use my 8-cup Pyrex measuring bowl).
- Microwave one minute; let sit 3 minutes, then whisk until smooth. If the chocolate isn't melted, microwave an additional 20 seconds.
- Whisk in the sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Break the eggs into the mixture and whisk until well incorporated.
- Measure the cocoa into a fine strainer set over the mixture and shake through, pressing to eliminate any lumps.
- Whisk the cocoa into the mixture, scraping the sides once or twice.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until it looks set in the middle (it should register 200° on an instant read thermometer).
- Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the pan and invert the cake onto a serving platter.
- Let the cake cool thoroughly.
- While the cake is cooling, measure the Ganache ingredients into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes; whisk until thick and smooth.
- Assembly: Pour the ganache over the cake, using an offset spatula to smooth it out.
- Let the ganache set (you can put it in the refrigerator if you are in a hurry). Garnish with fresh raspberries or strawberries or serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 449 Calories from Fat 269
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 60% Protein 4% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 17 g
Cholesterol 105 mg
Sodium 207 mg
Total Carbohydrate 40 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 15 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 10%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.