Scary Night Noodle Nosh Recipe
Tinting pasta is easy; once cooked, it is drained well and put in a zip-type bag with paste food coloring and a little water. Once the coloring has soaked in, the noodles are rinsed and then they are ready to use in this yummy dish.
12 ounces extra-wide egg noodles
1 teaspoon orange gel paste food coloring
1 teaspoon black gel food coloring
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter
1 12 oz. jar apricot jam
3/4 cup cornflake crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter a 9" x 13" shallow glass casserole dish.
- Cook the noodles in boiling salted water until just tender.
- Pour into a colander to drain all of the water off.
- Place the orange gel food coloring in a gallon-size zip-type bag; add 1 tablespoon water.
- Place the black gel coloring in another gallon-size zip-type bag; add 1 tablespoon water.
- Place half of the noodles in the orange bag and half of the noodles in the black bag; seal and massage each until the noodles are evenly colored.
- Let the noodles sit in the bags 30 minutes to an hour.
- Place the orange noodles in a colander, run cool water over, drain well, and spread out on a clean dishtowel to dry. Repeat with the black noodles.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese with the 3/4 cup sugar on high speed. Add the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla; mix on medium speed until smooth (or to save time, place the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth).
- Place the noodles in a large bowl; carefully and lightly toss the melted butter into the noodles.
- Stir the cream cheese mixture into the noodles, mixing carefully to avoid the colors running.
- Pour half of the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Stir the apricot jam to thin it down and spread over the noodle mixture; spread the remaining noodle mixture over the jam.
- Mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the surface of the kugel evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the kugel is set and the top is lightly browned.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 388 Calories from Fat 175
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 8% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 129 mg
Sodium 140 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 12 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 10%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.