8 cups milk
1 piece lemon rind, or orange rind
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups cream of wheat, (farina)
1 1/2 cups melted butter
1 pound phyllo dough
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 slices lemons, or orange
- Filling: Heat milk in large saucepan with the lemon or orange rind; stir in sugar. When nearly boiling, gradually stir in the farina, whisking constantly till smooth.
- When the mixture is thick and smooth, remove from heat; stir occasionally until lukewarm.
- Whisk in the eggs, 1 at a time, and continue whisking until smooth.
- Assembly: Brush an 11 x 17" jellyroll pan with butter; lay two sheets of phyllo dough to cover the bottom of the pan (one on each end).
- Brush the two sheets with butter.
- Repeat, using 20 sheets of phyllo (10 at each end of the jellyroll pan).
- Spread the cream filling over with a spatula, then top with 10 more sheets of phyllo at each end, brushing butter over each layer and over the top.
- Trim edges of pastry, score the top in diamonds, and brush again with butter.
- Bake pastry at 350° for 45 minutes, or until the top is brown and flaky.
- Syrup: Meanwhile mix syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil; turn heat down and simmer 15-20 minutes or until all sugar is absorbed and the syrup begins to thicken slightly.
- Remove from oven and baste with the syrup a little at a time until all is absorbed.
- Cool and cut into diamonds. Store in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 383 Calories from Fat 108 Percent Total Calories From: Fat 32% Protein 7% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 104 mg
Sodium 243 mg
Total Carbohydrate 54 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 29 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 8% Calcium 0% Iron 19%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.