Mexican Tres Leches Cake Recipe
While there are hundreds of versions of this cake around, this is a favorite; it has just the right amount of liquid to soak the cake without making it soggy. The cake is sturdy enough to hold the three milk mixture, and the cake is better if refrigerated for several hours before serving.
This moist, luscious cake is the perfect dessert to serve on Cinco de Mayo celebrations, as well as anytime Mexican or other Latin food is served. It can be made a day or two ahead.
5 large eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole milk
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
9 ounces sweetened condensed milk, (use the remainder in the can for another purpose)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups berries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Separate the eggs into two separate mixing bowls.
- Beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup of the sugar until very light and thick.
- Beat the egg whites with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Place a fine strainer over the egg yolk mixture; measure the flour, baking powder, and salt into the strainer and shake through into the mixture.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture; stir in the whole milk and vanilla.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk/flour mixture and pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool thoroughly.
- With a fork, poke holes into the entire surface of the cake.
- Whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and 1/3 cup whipping cream; pour the mixture evenly over the cake.
- Topping: Whip the 2 cups heavy cream with the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over the cake and top decoratively with berries.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 318 Calories from Fat 160
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 50% Protein 8% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 126 mg
Sodium 148 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 15% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.