Rhubarb Bakewell Tart Recipe
You can’t go wrong with this delicious tart. It’s quite easy to put together and will be popular with guests and families. It keeps well for several days, although it’s so good it probably won’t last long.
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons ground almonds
2 tablespoons shortening
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 tablespoons sugar
1 egg yolk
Ice water, if needed
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 large egg
1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray a 9" tart pan with a removable bottom with non-stick spray.
- Crust: place the flour, almonds and sugar into a food processor; process until mixed.
- Add the shortening, butter, and egg yolk; process just until the mixture forms a ball. If it is dry, add a tablespoon or two of ice water.
- Press the mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan. Prick the crust with a fork; Bake 12-15 minutes or until it is set, but not brown.
- Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350°.
- Mix the rhubarb with the brown sugar and place in a small baking dish.
- Bake 10 minute; stir well and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft but not mushy.
- Spread the mixture over the partially baked crust.
- Frangipane topping: Place the butter, sugar, almonds, flour, extract, and egg, in a food processor; process until smooth and well-mixed.
- Spread evenly over the rhubarb mixture and sprinkle with the sliced almonds. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the frangipane is set.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting into wedges.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 420 Calories from Fat 246
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 59% Protein 6% Carb. 35%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 87 mg
Sodium 146 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 10 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.