Recipe for Big and Soft Sugar Cookies
Since these Big and Soft Sugar Cookies are cut into giant rounds, they are quick to make. The soft texture comes from the addition of buttermilk; the great flavor comes from using half real butter.
Decorating is also quick and easy. Before baking, sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles.
If you’d rather frost the cookies, prepare Basic Uncooked Buttercream Frosting, tint it if necessary, and spread a quick dab over the top of each cookie, then add colored sugar or sprinkles (readily available at grocery, craft, and specialty stores). Canned frosting can even be used in a pinch.
Big and Soft Sugar Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen 4” round cookies
6 cups flour (about)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup shortening
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk, or sour milk (1 teaspoon vinegar added to regular milk)
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray them with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 4 cups flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in baking soda, buttermilk, beaten eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir as little as possible, and add the remaining flour as necessary to make dough thick enough to roll out.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into rounds with a 4” cutter or into desired shapes, and place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 162 Calories from Fat 63
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 5% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Sodium 102 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.