Jewish Apple Cake
Any favorite cooking apples may be used according to preference, but tart apples such as Granny Smith reduce the sweetness and compliment the sweet, moist cake perfectly.
This kosher recipe is perfect for Sukkot, but don’t reserve baking this moist apple cake for Jewish holidays only; it is delicious for any occasion, and because it isn’t overly sweet, makes a good coffee cake for breakfast and brunch as well as dessert.
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, pared, cored, and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Spray the bottom, sides, and middle of a tube pan with a removable bottom with Baker's Joy or grease and flour well.
- Mix the brown sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Grate the zest from the orange and add it to the mixture.
- Juice the orange and add 1/4 cup of the juice.
- Mix well, then add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed, scrape the sides, and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Batter will be thick.
- Spread 1/2 of the batter in the bottom of the prepared tube pan.
- Mix the 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the mixture over the batter, then layer half of the apples.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the sugar mixture over the apples.
- Spread the remaining batter evenly in the pan, sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the sugar mixture, arrange the remaining apples over, then sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture.
- Bake 75-90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes, then remove the sides and cool completely.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 350 Calories from Fat 138
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 5% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
Sodium 232 mg
Total Carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 11% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.