Basic Sponge Cake Recipe
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
3 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray baking pans with nonstick spray, then line with parchment: 2 7” sandwich tins, 1 10” springform pan, 1 17 x 11” jellyroll pan, 1 13 x 9” cake pan, or 2 8” round cake pans.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Add water, oil, and egg yolks.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until the whites are stiff but not dry.
- Gradually fold the beaten egg whites into the smooth cake batter, folding gently with a rubber spatula until just blended.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake until the cake springs back in the center when lightly touched with a finger or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 7” sandwich tins – 15-20 minutes; 10” springform pan – 25-30 minutes; 17 x 11” jellyroll pan – 15-20 minutes; 13 x 9” cake pan 30-35 minutes; 8” round cake pans – 12-18 minutes.
- Cool on a rack, then remove from pan.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 124 Calories from Fat 40
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 8% Carb. 60%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 121 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.