Southern Banana Pudding Recipe
Boxed pudding mixes, both cooked and instant are often used, but with the following recipe, homemade filling is almost as fast and is soooo much better. In fact, this filling actually takes only about 15 minutes from start to finish. I’ve found that the best way to make pudding is in the microwave; there’s no danger of scorching, and nobody has to stand at the stove and stir constantly waiting for the mixture to boil. Homemade filling doesn’t contain preservatives, either, and I can use organic ingredients if I choose.
If you’re looking for a dessert to serve on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, this Banana Pudding is a great choice, since it’s real soul food, and it goes well with most southern dishes. It’s good, however, served all year round.
Southern Banana Pudding
2 cups milk, divided
1/4 cup cornstarch, or 1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
35 to 45 vanilla wafer cookies
Sweetened whipped cream, if desired
- Filling: Place 1 1/2 cups of the milk in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave on high 3-4 minutes or until it is hot.
- Meanwhile, while the milk is heating, whisk together the cornstarch or flour and sugar in a small bowl.
- Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup milk, salt, and eggs; mix until smooth.
- When the milk is hot, whisk the sugar/egg mixture into it, whisking until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the microwave and cook on high power for 2-3 minutes or until boiling.
- Whisk in the butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Assembly: Line a 1 1/2 quart bowl with vanilla wafers.
- Cover with 2 sliced bananas.
- Pour 1/2 of the filling over the bananas.
- Top with a layer of vanilla wafers, the remaining bananas, and the remaining filling.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the filling and cool.
- This pudding can be served either warm, at room temperature, or cold. Top each serving with sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 322 Calories from Fat 98
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 31% Protein 7% Carb. 63%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 82 mg
Sodium 275 mg
Total Carbohydrate 51 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 10% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.