Basic Cream Pie Filling Recipe
Basic Cream Pie Filling
1 8" or 9" pie depending on which variation you use
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup flour or 1/4 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 8" or 9" baked pie shell
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of the milk into a large microwaveable container and microwave on high to boiling, 4-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour or cornstarch and sugar together until well-mixed.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk, salt, and eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Whisk the milk/egg/sugar mixture into the hot milk until smooth.
- Microwave, stirring every two minutes or so until it boils (a single batch takes about 3 minutes; a double batch 4-5, depending on your microwave).
- Stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour into a cooled pie shell, and place a piece of plastic wrap directly touching the filling (to avoid a skin forming)
- Chill at least 4 hours.
- Banana Cream: stir in 3 or 4 sliced bananas
- Butterscotch Cream: Use brown sugar instead of white and increase butter to 3 tablespoons
- Caramel Cream: Heat 1/4 cup of the sugar till it turns dark brown; stir into the cooked filling
- Coconut Cream: Stir in 1 cup flaked coconut; top with whipped cream and toasted coconut
- Chocolate Cream: Increase sugar to 1 cup. Add 1-2 squares unsweetened chocolate along with the milk
- Date Cream: Stir in 1/2 cup chopped dates
- Pineapple Cream: Stir in 1/2 cup well-drained crushed pineapple
- Peach Cream: Stir in 1 cup drained sliced peaches
- Cherry Cream: Pour filling into shell and let chill. Spread 1 can cherry pie filling on top (use 9" pie shell)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 163 Calories from Fat 56
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 34% Protein 9% Carb. 57%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 69 mg
Sodium 221 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.