Basic Caramel Sauce Recipe
This is a good sauce for ice cream, as well as for drizzling on cakes, cheesecakes, or puddings. Since caramel and chocolate go well together, this is a good choice to pour over Brownie Sundaes along with either Decadent Chocolate Truffle Sauce, or Hot Fudge Toppings. Basic Caramel Sauce will keep a week or two if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Microwave for 30 seconds or so before serving.
Basic Caramel Sauce
Makes about 2 cups or 12 servings
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Microwave Directions: Measure the brown sugar and butter in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes; stir well.
- Add the cream and microwave 1 minute.
- Stir well and microwave an additional 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is boiling.
- Stir well and add the vanilla. Cool.
- Stovetop Directions: Whisk brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts.
- Whisk in the cream and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If the sauce develops a few sugar crystals, microwave for 30 seconds to a minute and stir.
- This sauce will keep for up to two weeks; transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 153 Calories from Fat 102
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 67% Protein 1% Carb. 33%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 86 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.