Recipe for Pashka
While hands-on time is minimal, the cottage and ricotta cheeses need to drain thoroughly, so plan to start your Pashka a day or to ahead.
1 pound cottage cheese
1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
4 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup currants
1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
1/2 cup blanched almonds, finely chopped
Currants, for garnish
Dried cherries, for garnish
- Place the cottage cheese and ricotta cheese in a fine strainer, cover with a small plate, then weight it down with something heavy (such as a large jar of fruit or heavy cans).
- Place the strainer over a bowl to catch the juice.
- Let drain for several hours in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, whisk the yolks, sugar, and heavy cream in a microwaveable container; microwave for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and whisk; microwave 1 minute, then whisk and microwave 1 more minute or until thickened. Watch closely so it doesn't boil over. Set aside to cool.
- When the cottage and ricotta cheeses have drained, transfer them to the bowl of a food processor along with the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla.
- Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Alternately, beat until smooth with a mixer.
- Add the custard mixture to the cheese mixture and pulse a few times to mix.
- Using a zester, zest several strips of peel from the lemon; set aside for garnish.
- Using a Microplane or fine grater, remove the remaining peel and stir it into the cheese mixture with the currants, cherries, and almonds.
- Line a 1-2 quart clean new clay flowerpot with several layers of cheesecloth.
- Pour the mixture into the lined flowerpot, cover with more cheesecloth, and weigh the mixture down; refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Alternately, line a bowl with plastic wrap and pour the mixture in; cover with more plastic wrap.
- Unmold onto serving plate, removing the cheesecloth.
- With currants, make the letters X B (which stands for "Christ has risen" in Cyrillic script) on the side of the pashka.
- Decorate the top with lemon rind strips, cherries, and slivered almonds.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 225 Calories from Fat 148
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 66% Protein 12% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 80 mg
Sodium 164 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
You Should Also Read:
Easter Dessert Recipes
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.