For those who have more time, the dough can also be rolled out to 1/4” thickness on a lightly floured pastry cloth and cut into rounds or shapes; they will take less time to bake, so watch them carefully. These cookies shouldn’t brown.
To store, pack these cookies in an airtight container. They actually get better as they sit, since the ginger flavor permeates the buttery cookie base. This is one cookie that can be made weeks ahead for Christmas.
About 24 wedges, or 3 dozen rolled cookies.
2 cups Basic Sugar Cookie Mix
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray a 9" round pie dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the sugar cookie mix, butter, and cornstarch.
- Stir in the candied ginger, chocolate chips, and orange peel.
- Press evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cut into wedges while warm.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 145 Calories from Fat 66
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 3% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 89 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 6%