Is there anyone out there who doesnít like homemade sugar cookies? While many donít think they have time to make them, almost everyone loves to eat them. Thatís why this quick and easy Basic Sugar Cookie Mix will come in handy if made ahead and stored on the pantry shelves. It makes quite a big batch, so if your mixer isnít large, make it in two batches. Dozens of different cookies, bars, and desserts can be quickly made with this versatile mix. In fact, a batch of basic dough can be mixed, rolled into balls, then in sprinkles and baked in less than 30 minutes. Thatís faster than running to the store and purchasing a package of substandard, cardboard store-bought cookies! The bonus is that the house smells divine.
Basic cookies made from this mix are easy enough for older children to make by themselves (although itís a good idea to have a little adult supervision whenever an oven is being used). For those with some cooking skills, dough made from this mix can be rolled and cut into shapes for all of the holidays or anytime. New recipes using this mix will be posted on the Desserts and Quick Cooking sites at BellaOnline, so watch for them. With this mix, almost everyone (including you) has time to make homemade sugar cookies.
About 200 small cookies
12 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons baking powder
5 cups sugar
3 cups butter
1 cup shortening
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
- Store in a cool place for up to 3 months.
- Basic Sugar Cookies: Mix 3 3/4 cups mix with 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon extract (vanilla, lemon, almond, etc.).
- Rolled Cookies: Roll out on a floured pastry cloth 1/4" to 1/3" thick and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 350į for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges barely begin to brown.
- Balls: Scoop 1" balls from the basic sugar cookie mixture; place on baking sheets 2" apart.
- Roll in sprinkles or sugar if desired.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 85 Calories from Fat 37
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 4% Carb. 52%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 8 mg
Sodium 65 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%