Calabacitas Casserole makes enough for a large crowd, so if you’re planning on having company or a lot of family and friends over, this is the one to make. Serve it with salsa, sour cream, and ripe avocado or guacamole.
16 Generous Servings
2 packages ground beef mixture from the Basic Ground Beef Module, or 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey browned with onions, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
3 15 oz. cans tomatoes and green chilies
1 cup beef broth
1 pound zucchini, sliced
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
2 to 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
1 cup onions, chopped
8 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
1 pound tortilla chips, divided
3 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13" deep casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the ground beef mixture, tomatoes and green chilies, and beef broth; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the zucchini, corn, jalapenos, onion, and queso fresco; set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of the tortilla chips over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Cover with half of the ground beef mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the cheddar jack cheese over.
- Add another layer of tortilla chips; cover with the zucchini mixture and top with the remaining chips.
- Spread the remaining ground beef mixture over the chips and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar jack cheese.
- Spray the underside of a large piece of foil with non-stick spray; cover the casserole dish tightly.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil, return to the oven, and continue baking until the cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, and avocado on the side.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 512 Calories from Fat 241
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 47% Protein 18% Carb. 35%
Nutrient Amount per Serving Value
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 75 mg
Sodium 646 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 23 g
Vitamin A 42% Vitamin C 36% Calcium 0% Iron 4%