With the emphasis on saving money and serving budget meals, more families are serving dishes made with ground beef. This Basic Ground Beef Module is a real timesaver, since it yields 10 packages of seasoned ground beef with onions that can be added to dozens of soups, salads, and casseroles without the mess and time involved to brown the ground beef. 10 pounds of ground beef requires two or three skillets, but all can be cooked at the same time; this module actually takes less than 30 minutes to complete. That’s pretty fast when the end result is enough for 10 quick meals.
Makes 10 packages of ground beef mixture, approximately 2 cups each
10 pounds lean (preferably less than 10% fat) ground beef
4 cloves garlic, finely minced, (optional)
5 cups onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Place half of the ground beef in each of two or three skillets over medium heat.
- divide the garlic and onions among the skillets.
- Sprinkle each of the mixtures with salt and pepper.
- Brown the beef over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and breaking up the meat, until it is cooked through, no red remains in the meat, and the onions are soft.
- Transfer each of the mixtures to a strainer over the sink and drain any residual fat. (There should be very little if lean ground beef is used)
- Cool and package in 10 Ziploc-type bags.
- Label the bags and freeze.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 166 Calories from Fat 101
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 61% Protein 36% Carb. 3%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
Sodium 221 mg
Total Carbohydrate 1 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 7%