Just a side note: Aunt Shar is fully aware that our family lives in Utah where obtaining possum is next to impossible; I guess that’s why she left it out!
Here are some hints to make this dish very quick and easy:
- Microwave the squash for about 8 minutes with a few tablespoons of water, rather than cooking it in a saucepan on the stove. This eliminates the extra work to wash the pan and also is much faster since you won’t have to wait for it to boil.
- Saltine crackers are easily crushed by putting them in a Ziploc bag and pounding them with a rolling pin.
- Rather than grating onion, you may substitute a teaspoon (more if you like a stronger onion flavor) of dehydrated onion; break up the pieces or pound them with the rolling pin before adding them dry to the mixture.
- Purchase the cheese already grated
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 3-4 minutes
Aunt Shar’s Possum Pie
1 pound yellow summer squash, cooked until just tender and drained well
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 30)
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 cup hot milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Pour the hot squash into the bowl of a mixer; add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is melted and the squash is mashed. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well; pour into a buttered 1 1/2 quart soufflé or casserole dish. Bake in a preheated 375° oven until puffed and golden, about 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 193 Calories from Fat 113
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 61% Protein 16% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 84 mg
Sodium 280 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 5%