Vegetables are an integral part of any proper Southern meal, and in most cases, there are several on the table to choose from. Some time ago, My Aunt Shar spent a couple of years in Georgia, where she was able to collect a few great Southern Recipes from her Georgian friends. This delicious recipe featuring yellow squash is loved by all who are lucky enough to taste it. In fact, Aunt Shar’s recipe for “Possum Pie” has become a favorite in our family and is served whenever yellow squash is available.
Just a side note: Aunt Shar is fully aware that our family lives in Utah where obtaining possum is next to impossible; I guess that’s why she left it out!
Here are some hints to make this dish very quick and easy:
- Microwave the squash for about 8 minutes with a few tablespoons of water, rather than cooking it in a saucepan on the stove. This eliminates the extra work to wash the pan and also is much faster since you won’t have to wait for it to boil.
- Saltine crackers are easily crushed by putting them in a Ziploc bag and pounding them with a rolling pin.
- Rather than grating onion, you may substitute a teaspoon (more if you like a stronger onion flavor) of dehydrated onion; break up the pieces or pound them with the rolling pin before adding them dry to the mixture.
- Purchase the cheese already grated
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 3-4 minutes
Aunt Shar’s Possum Pie
1 pound yellow summer squash, cooked until just tender and drained well
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 30)
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 cup hot milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Pour the hot squash into the bowl of a mixer; add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is melted and the squash is mashed. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well; pour into a buttered 1 1/2 quart soufflé or casserole dish. Bake in a preheated 375° oven until puffed and golden, about 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 193 Calories from Fat 113
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 61% Protein 16% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 84 mg
Sodium 280 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 5%