If you have a food processor or small chopper, the onions and zucchini take only a minute or two to chop. You can, of course also chop them by hand; it takes a little longer, but still goes pretty fast.
My favorite cheese for this dish is Fontina; Gouda is a close second. You can use your favorite cheese such as havarti, Swiss, Provolone, Sharp Cheddar or Jack. To save time, purchase it already grated.
Elegant Zucchini Gratin
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 pound zucchini
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper (or more to taste)
1 cup whipping cream
3 ounces Fontina cheese, or substitute Gouda, or your favorite
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt the butter in a skillet; add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cut the zucchini into 1" chunks, place them in the food processor, and pulse until the squash is coarsely chopped. Alternately, cut into 1/4" dice.
- Add the zucchini to the onions along with the salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Pour in the whipping cream, turn the heat to high, and stir until the mixture bubbles.
- Continue cooking on high for 2 minutes.
- Turn the mixture into a shallow 1 quart gratin dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese, then the bread crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve Immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 248 Calories from Fat 192
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 78% Protein 10% Carb. 13%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 376 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 23% Vitamin C 13% Calcium 0% Iron 3%