Gourmet dishes don’t have to be difficult or time consuming. In fact, this Elegant Zucchini Gratin, can be put together in about 15 minutes, and calls for common ingredients that you probably have on hand. The bonus is that this dish uses a full pound of zucchini, and who doesn’t have an abundance of that ubiquitous vegetable growing in the garden? Choose zucchini that are 6-10 inches long; that way they are tender and don’t have many seeds.
If you have a food processor or small chopper, the onions and zucchini take only a minute or two to chop. You can, of course also chop them by hand; it takes a little longer, but still goes pretty fast.
My favorite cheese for this dish is Fontina; Gouda is a close second. You can use your favorite cheese such as havarti, Swiss, Provolone, Sharp Cheddar or Jack. To save time, purchase it already grated.
Elegant Zucchini Gratin
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 pound zucchini
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper (or more to taste)
1 cup whipping cream
3 ounces Fontina cheese, or substitute Gouda, or your favorite
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt the butter in a skillet; add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, cut the zucchini into 1" chunks, place them in the food processor, and pulse until the squash is coarsely chopped. Alternately, cut into 1/4" dice.
- Add the zucchini to the onions along with the salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Pour in the whipping cream, turn the heat to high, and stir until the mixture bubbles.
- Continue cooking on high for 2 minutes.
- Turn the mixture into a shallow 1 quart gratin dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese, then the bread crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve Immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 248 Calories from Fat 192
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 78% Protein 10% Carb. 13%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 376 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 23% Vitamin C 13% Calcium 0% Iron 3%