This easy salad is ideal to serve as a side dish at a backyard cookout; itís also a good dish to take to a pot luck since itís colorful and different. If youíre looking for a great dish to serve on New Yearsí Day that contains black-eyed peas for good luck, this Black-eyed Pea Salad is an ideal choice.
Carolís Southern Black-eyed Pea Salad
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce, or other hot sauce
2 15 oz. can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 to 3/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 to 3/4 cup finely chopped onions
- Mix the vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and Tabasco in a blender container and blend until the sugar is dissolved.
- Scrape down the sides and blend again.
- Alternately, whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl; set the dressing aside.
- Mix the black-eyed peas, green pepper, celery, and onions in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 263 Calories from Fat 86
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 11% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 539 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 22% Calcium 0% Iron 13%