Carol Blalock is the cute Mom of one of my closest friends. She is a fabulous Southern cook, but like the rest of us, sometimes finds herself short on time. This Black-eyed Pea Salad is not only an oft requested family favorite, it is a favorite of Carol’s because it takes only 15-20 minutes to assemble; no matter how busy she is, there is always time to make this salad. It’s best made the night before to let the flavors blend, but in a pinch, can be served as soon as it’s made. In the unlikely event there are leftovers, they keep in the refrigerator for several days.
This easy salad is ideal to serve as a side dish at a backyard cookout; it’s also a good dish to take to a pot luck since it’s colorful and different. If you’re looking for a great dish to serve on New Years’ Day that contains black-eyed peas for good luck, this Black-eyed Pea Salad is an ideal choice.
Carol’s Southern Black-eyed Pea Salad
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce, or other hot sauce
2 15 oz. can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 to 3/4 cup green bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 to 3/4 cup finely chopped onions
- Mix the vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and Tabasco in a blender container and blend until the sugar is dissolved.
- Scrape down the sides and blend again.
- Alternately, whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl; set the dressing aside.
- Mix the black-eyed peas, green pepper, celery, and onions in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 263 Calories from Fat 86
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 11% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 539 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 22% Calcium 0% Iron 13%