This delicious bread is perfect to serve on St. Patrick’s Day, and is especially good with Shamrock Soup or Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup. Make sure to serve it with lots of real butter.
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup white flour
2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup dry buttermilk powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dry yeast
- Place the ingredients in the pan of the automatic bread machine in the order given.
- Set the machine to the dough cycle and start.
- When the dough has mixed 5 minutes, check to see that it forms a ball.
- If it is too soft, add a little more flour; if it is too stiff, add more water and restart.
- When the cycle has finished, transfer the dough to a floured surface such as a pastry cloth.
- Form the dough into a large disc, about 1 1/2" thick.
- Place on a parchment-lined or greased baking pan and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- With a sharp knife or razor, cut a cross into the loaf about 3/4" deep .
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 35-40 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven, wrap in a cloth towel, and let cool.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 125 Calories from Fat 5
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 4% Protein 15% Carb. 81%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 374 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%