Looking for something new to serve on St. Patrick’s Day? Shamrock Soup is perfect, and, since it’s made with the versatile and convenient Basic Cream Soup Mix, it can be made in less than 30 minutes.
Ireland is known for its beautiful green countryside, which is most-likely the reason that many people in the US think that they need to serve something green on St. Patrick’s Day. It’s a religious holiday in Ireland, where families gather to attend church and eat afterwards. Beer is not dyed green, nor is any of the food.
This Shamrock Soup contains potatoes and leeks, which are both served extensively in Ireland. Together they make a delicious creamy soup; chopped fresh spinach is stirred in at the last minute to prevent overcooking and to satisfy those who still insist on serving green food on St. Patrick’s Day. For a variation, sauté ham or thick Irish bacon with the leeks to make a more substantial soup, or simply sprinkle with crisp bacon bits before serving.
1 bunch leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
4 ounces fresh spinach, (about 2 cups tightly packed), coarsely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse the sliced leeks in cold water, breaking them apart to remove any dirt or grit; transfer to a colander, rinse again, and drain well.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot.
- Add the leeks and sauté until they are softened.
- Add the potatoes, water, salt, and white pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cook about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the cream soup mix and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 256 Calories from Fat 102
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 15% Carb. 46%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 33 mg
Sodium 941 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 22% Vitamin C 22% Calcium 0% Iron 8%