Chronic depression can be deadly if left untreated. Medication, OTC supplements, and therapy are common and often successful ways to to treat depression. While those methods are sensible, there are also many things that you can do to improve your depression symptoms. Taking control of your depression no matter how small the effort - is a positive ways to manage the illness.
Simple Ways to Fight Depression
- Get some fresh air.
- Sit in the sun for 15 minutes.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Get plenty of restful sleep.
- Set one small goal for each section of the day: one goal for morning, one for afternoon, and one before bed.
- Spend some quality time with a loving pet.
- Write in a journal.
- Play a word game or complete a crossword puzzle.
- Go for a swim.
- Go for a walk.
- Try limiting or cutting out refined sugar from your diet.
- Plant a flower - either in your yard or in a pot.
- Draw or paint a picture.
- Put on a favorite song and dance.
- Take a leisurely shower.
- Set a goal to take care of basic needs each day.
- Talk to a friend and inquire about their needs.
- Volunteer in your community.
- Think of something that always makes you smile - and smile.
- Complete a chore around the house.
- Imagine yourself in perfect mental health and meditate on how you would change.
- Wear something that makes you feel comfortable and attractive.
- Look in the mirror and repeat a positive mantra.
Try one or more of these suggestions each day. If your symptoms don't improve immediately, give it time. Simply making the effort to change is something to be proud of.
NOTE: These suggestions are just that - suggestions. Please use good common sense in caring for your mental health, and don't hesitate to contact a physician if you are unsure if any of these suggestions are safe for you.