Spicy Hot String Beans
2 pounds of fresh string beans
1/2 cup of sliced white button mushrooms, stems removed (keep mushroom stems)*
1 small fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 or 2 tablespoon chopped pimentos, optional
1. Remove the both ends of the string beans, then wash beans. Pat beans dry with a towel if you are not using then immediately.
2. Spray a large frying pan with cover, with cooking spray, then place the beans, mushrooms, jalapeno pepper, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
3. Saute over a low heat for about 10 minutes.
4. Add vinegar, stir and cover the pan. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the beans are tender, but still bright green.
5. If you are going to add pimentos add them just before you place the beans in a bowl.
Makes about 8 servings. This recipe is easily doubled.
If serving as a buffet dish, make another dish of quartered roasted white potatoes and one of stewed tomatoes. You do not have to make these from scratch, Del Monte's brand makes delicious stewed tomatoes. Use their original style, it has just the right sweetness, you know sugar has been added but the dish is not sweet.
* Remove the bottoms from mushroom stems and slice, use to make mushroom gravy.
If you love vegetables or are a collector of cook books, I recommend The New Vegetarian Epicure. This book is another book sale find, and has wonderful illustrations. The author Anna Thomas has added "Menus for family and friends" for a sub title. This interesting recipe book was published in 1997, it has good recipes and warm written chatter. If you are able find the book, don't be discouraged by the listing of the recipes in front. Under "Salads" you will find, "A Big Tossed Salad", A Relish Plate, etc. A Big Tossed Salad can be found under the letter "B" for "Big Tossed Salad."
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Vannie Ryanes. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Vannie Ryanes. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.