Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
This ancient soup is perfect for formal gatherings, but also delicious at other times of the year as well.
Each region of Italy has its own variation on this classic soup. It dates back to ancient Rome, has traveled to the United States, and taken on typical Italian-American influences. The term "wedding" refers to the marriage of flavors in this soup.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 medium heads escarole (you can substitute spinach if you wish)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- Simmer the broth gently.
- Mix together the pork, beef, bread crumbs, 3 eggs, basil, parsley, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Form them into small, 1/2 inch, meatballs.
- Add the meatballs to the simmering broth.
- Clean and chop the escarole into strips, and add it in. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Blend together the 5 eggs and cup of cheese.
- When the main soup is done, slowly stir the egg-cheese mixture in for about a minute.
- Serve promptly.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will want to subscribe to the Italian Food Newsletter
Each week the newsletter arrives in your email in-box. Featured will be tips for Italian cooking, travel, and information on Italian culture. BellaOnline.com never sells your email to third parties. The subscription box is on the right side of this page.
You Should Also Read:
Neapolitan Macaroni Timbale Recipe
Microwave Garlic Soup Recipe
Zuppa di Pomodoro — Tomato Soup
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.