Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Thanksgiving on Thursday
Thanksgiving on Thursday is a classic go-to book for homeschooling families. Geared for children in grades two and up, this series follows the adventure of Jack and Annie as they travel through time. Thanksgiving on Thursday brings them back to the setting of the original Thanksgiving feast, and with it brings fun and excitement. Here are several ideas to utilize this holiday themed chapter book within your homeschool lessons.
Spelling and Vocabulary Words- Discuss these words, create a spelling test with activities, games and printables at Spelling City.com, or have your older student look up the definitions:
Here are some comprehension questions to ask your child:
1. What is Morgan Le Fay's mission?
Answer- He needs to gather books.
2. What are Jack and Annie looking for on this adventure?
Answer- They are looking for a magic that is deemed special.
3. What did Jack and Annie dress as in this adventure?
Answer- They dressed as Pilgrims.
4. Who did Jack really want to meet on this trip?
Answer- He wanted to meet Squanto.
5. How did Jack explain he and Annie's presence at this "Thanksgiving"?
Answer- He told everyone that he and Annie had sailed to America with Captain John Smith.
6. How did the pilgrim children in the story help their parents?
Answer- This will vary; possible answers include gardening, hunting for food, watching siblings, etc.
7. What was Squanto's gift to Jack and Annie?
Answer- Squanto gave the children corn seeds.
8. How was the Thanksgiving bounty served to all?
Answer- The meal was served on wooden plates.
9. What did Govenor Bradford do prior to eating the Thanksgiving meal with everyone?
Answer- He gave thanks, or said Grace.
10. What did the Wampanoag Native Americans bring to the feast?
Answer- The Wampanoag's brought deer, five of them to be exact.
Take some time to visit the link at the end of this article to the specific Thanksgiving on Thursday teacher's Site. Here you can find directions to make your own "Cornucopia", writing prompts, and a printable "Quilt of Thanks" worksheet. www.magictreehouse.com/bookdetail-thanksgivingonthursday
Students need help - Get TeachPro.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2013 by Alissa Moy. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Alissa Moy. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Alissa Moy for details.
Website copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.