Guest Author - Alissa Moy
The month of December is a perfect time to add crafts to your Art program at home. Homeschoolers love to create handcrafted gifts for family and friends, and it is an inexpensive way for them to be part of the holiday giving, too. The first idea is to create Handmade Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments. This easy recipe is fun and it smells awesome. If your child is younger please inform them that this is a non edible craft!
Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments Recipe
1 cup of ground cinnamon
3/4 cup of natural applesauce
1/4 cup of white glue
1/4 cup flour (to prevent sticking)
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Remind your child that this sweet smelling craft is not for eating!
2. On a floured surface flatten the mixture and use a rolling pin to roll the mixture out to 1/2" thickness. Using Christmas cookie cutters, cut out shapes. Using cookie cutters with a sharp edge will help cut through the dough.
3. Next, cut a hole in the top of each ornament to hang the ribbon through when it dries.
4. Leave the ornaments on a flat surface, like on cookie sheets to dry for about 48 hours.
5. When the ornaments are completely dry thread holiday ribbon through each carefully to create your handmade holiday decoration!
Another idea is to have your child create a puzzle book for a family member or a friend. Use large squared graph paper to create a crossword puzzle backdrop, or create one by hand. Challenge your child to come up with questions that involve the person for whom they are creating the puzzle for. For example, have questions which pertain to certain activities your child has shared alongside Grandma, or an Aunt and Uncle. This can be typed or hand written- the choice is your homeschooler's. Consider other types of puzzles, too, such as unscrambles and mazes. Cousins can make these Christmas Fun Puzzle Books for one another, and have fun doing it.
A scrapbook or memory book is an excellent gift for your child to create. If your homeschooler takes photos with his or her digital camera this is a perfect place to display photos they took. Many homeschoolers will enjoy creating a scrapbook from scratch, using construction paper cut in squares and pasted over cardstock or cardboard. There are also books that can be purchased and then decorated. Whatever your child uses to display their creation, it is sure to be a holiday hit with family and friends. After all, it was made from lots of love!
Here are some supplies to order for your holiday craft making: