It’s always nice to have a log or two of slice and bake cookies in the freezer. These classic Christmas Cookies, Santa’s Whiskers – named so because of the coconut on the outside of the cookies - are slice and bake. They are also festive, delicious, and make ahead. The rolls of dough can be stored in the refrigerator for a week or so, or in the freezer for 6-8 months.
Makes 8 dozen cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups candied cherries, (mixture of red and green)
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
3 cups flaked coconut
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, powdered sugar, egg, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low, and gradually mix in the 2 1/4 cups flour until well blended.
- Toss the candied cherries with the 1 tablespoon flour, coating the cherries.
- Stir the cherries and chopped pecans into the batter.
- Shape the dough into 3 logs, 10 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Roll each log in 1 cup coconut, pressing the coconut onto the surface of the roll.
- Wrap each roll separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, or if you're in a hurry, freeze for an hour.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 350°.
- Cut the logs into 1/4 to 1/3-inch slices with sharp knife.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned.
- Cool on racks, then store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for longer storage.
Place 1-inch apart onto parchment-lined cookie sheets.
Amount Per Cookie
Calories 63 Calories from Fat 32
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 50% Protein 4% Carb. 46%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 26 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%