Need an attractive dessert for the annual Easter buffet, but don’t have much time? Mini Brownie Nests are quick and easy, but they look festive and like they took lots of time to make. If there’s Mom’s Brownie Mix on the pantry shelf, the brownies can be mixed in about 5 minutes. While they’re baking, the filling can be mixing and the coconut can be tinted with food coloring. The entire process can be completed in less than an hour, including cooling the brownies.
These little nests are reminiscent of spring, and will be a hit with both adults and children alike. They can be made several days ahead and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
24 Mini Brownies
2 1/2 cups Mom's Brownie Mix
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flaked coconut
A few drops green food coloring
Cadbury Mini Eggs, jelly beans, or marshmallow chicks for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a mini muffin pan (24 cups) with paper baking cups.
- Mix the brownie mix, eggs, and vanilla.
- Scoop a tablespoon of brownie batter into each cup.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until set; remove from the oven and let cool. They may sink a little in the middle; this is as it should be and allows for more of the luscious filling.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Cover each of the brownies liberally with the filling.
- Place the coconut and food coloring in a shaker jar with a tight fitting lid; shake until the coconut is dyed green.
- Spread the coconut on a plate or paper towels to dry.
- Press the tops of the brownies into the dyed coconut.
- Press three Cadbury eggs in the center to resemble nests.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 157 Calories from Fat 76
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 4% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 110 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%