Recipe for Better than the Original Derby Pie
I purchased a Derby Pie®, in Kentucky, shared it with my flight attendant roommates, and developed the following recipe for a rich and delicious chocolate chip nut pie which I call Better than the Original Derby Pie. This pie is truly better and worth every calorie, according to my tasters, since my recipe is made with a flaky homemade crust containing real butter as opposed to a commercial-tasting crust made with margarine in the original. Also, there are no preservatives, the walnuts are toasted, and the addition of just a little real Kentucky Bourbon takes this homemade pie to a higher realm. Whether you plan to attend the Kentucky Derby this year or to watch it on TV, this pie is a must to serve for dessert.
1 homemade 9” unbaked pie shell
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons Kentucky Bourbon
1 cup toasted walnuts (toast in a 350° oven for 8-10 minutes)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon Kentucky Bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Blind bake the pie crust for 5 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 350°.
- Beat the brown sugar, flour, salt, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and bourbon on low speed until smooth (you don’t want foam).
- Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the partially baked crust.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the center is almost set (it will finish as it cools).
- Remove to cooling racks.
- Just before serving, whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat to stiff peaks.
- Stir in the bourbon and serve over the pie.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 553 Calories from Fat 352
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 64% Protein 5% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 39 g
Saturated Fat 17 g
Cholesterol 121 mg
Sodium 266 mg
Total Carbohydrate 40 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 11%
You Should Also Read:
Other Derby Day Desserts
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.