The Farr Better Ice Cream Company, located in Ogden, Utah, has been making Burnt Almond Fudge ice cream since about 1920 when Lorin and his son Asael Farr expanded their ice business to include ice cream; it’s still one of the most popular flavors sold at their old fashioned ice cream parlor which is still at its original location. Of course the almonds aren’t really “burnt,” rather, they are simply toasted, but they are a great addition to good chocolate ice cream. Although their ice cream is really good, the following homemade Burnt Almond Fudge is “Farrrr Better!” and can be made in the automatic ice cream machine in about 20 minutes.
The base for this delicious ice cream, which needs to be chilled before freezing, can be made the night before, but if in a hurry, it can be put in the freezer for 15-20 minutes which will chill it quickly. Toast the almonds first so that they are cool before adding to the ice cream.
Automatic ice cream makers are quite inexpensive, and are a must-have time saving appliance for ice cream, gelato, frozen yogurt, and sorbet lovers. They require no ice or salt, since the cylinder is frozen; it is simply kept in the freezer until a strong craving for ice cream arises – 20 minutes later, voila!
1 cup milk
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup whole almonds, toasted in a 350° oven for 8 – 10 minutes
- Heat the milk in the microwave until almost boiling.
- Add the baking chocolate and instant coffee to the hot milk; let the mixture sit 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and salt.
- Stir in the whipping cream and almond extract.
- Place in the refrigerator until well-chilled, about an hour, or in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the automatic ice cream maker and freeze until it begins to thicken.
- Add the almonds and continue freezing until set.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 445 Calories from Fat 271
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 61% Protein 7% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
Sodium 335 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 10%