Looking for the perfect dessert to serve at the next outdoor gathering? Cajun Apricot Dumplings are perfect for summer since they are cooked in the slow cooker so as not to heat up the kitchen, and are served with a big scoop of ice cream to help cool off the lucky tasters.
Fresh fruit is so good during the summer, most of us want to use it in as many recipes as possible before it’s gone. If apricots are available, this is a luscious dessert that will be enjoyed by everyone. The bonus is that there is very little work to apricots – they don’t need to be peeled, and they are easily cut in half; the pits come out easily, too. There is no chopping in this recipe (except for the ginger, which is optional), either, which makes it even faster to put together. The dumplings are quick, since they start with the versatile Master Baking Mix; if that isn’t available, commercial mixes such as Bisquick® work well too.
2 pounds fresh apricots, halved and pitted
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger or crystallized ginger, (optional)
1 1/4 cups Master Baking Mix or commercial biscuit mix such as Bisquick®
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Filling: Place the apricots in the crock of a 5-quart round slow cooker.
- Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch; stir in the orange juice concentrate, water, and ginger (if using).
- Pour the mixture over the apricots.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn to low, and let cook 2 hours.
- Dumplings: After 2 hours, stir the dumpling ingredients together until smooth.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls over the apricot filling.
- Turn the slow cooker to high, cover, and let cook until the dumplings are cooked through and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- To serve: spoon dumplings into each serving bowl; cover with filling.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 288 Calories from Fat 40
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 14% Protein 6% Carb. 80%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 217 mg
Total Carbohydrate 58 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 26 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 61% Vitamin C 46% Calcium 0% Iron 4%