Accreditation is a process by which educational institutions or specific programs are evaluated by peer review process organizations such as Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. (ABET) or Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The accreditation process has been utilized for over a century. It was originally established to ensure the quality of education provided by secondary and postsecondary educational institutions. Choosing an accredited university means a quality education and greater career opportunities.
When undertaking the process of selecting a university, it is essential to consider the institution’s accreditation status. The selection of an accredited university assures that credit hours and courses can be easily transferred to another university should one decide to pursue education beyond the bachelor’s degree. Typically, credits from nonaccredited programs are not transferrable to accredited universities. Additionally, many federal student aid and student loan programs will only fund accredited programs, further necessitating the selection of an accredited university.
The importance of selecting an accredited institution is also true when choosing a distance learning degree option. The following universities are accredited and offer a variety of degree levels and program options:
- Capella University offers high-quality doctoral degree and certificate programs in the areas of business and technology, education, health care and nursing, counseling and psychology, and public service.
- Kaplan University has a wide variety of degree programs in the fields of arts and sciences, business, criminal justice, education, health sciences, legal studies, nursing, and technology.
- DeVry University provides degree programs on-site as well as online. Online programs consist of business and management, engineering and information sciences, health sciences, liberal arts and sciences, and media arts and technology.
- Walden University has degree levels ranging from certificates to doctorates. Degree programs consist of business and management, communication and news media, counseling and human services, criminal justice and emergency management, education, health sciences, information technology, nursing, psychology, and public policy and administration.
- Ashford University provides degree programs on-site as well as online. Online programs consist of business and professional studies, education, health and human services, and science and liberal arts.