Red Devil Delight Recipe
Halloween costumes come in all varieties, but the devil costume with horns, cape, tail, and pitchfork seems to be perennially popular with adults and children alike. In fact, Gwen, our cat, wore a devil costume a couple of years ago. This costume set a record, in that Gwen kept the costume on for an unprecedented 8 minutes and 22 seconds.
Red Devil Delight is a popcorn snack mix that is red, hot, and spicy (cinnamon), just like most devil costumes. Here it’s pictured in a scary cat bowl in honor of Gwen, but it’s perfect to fill up treat bags, or will look great in your favorite Halloween bowl. Make sure you have plenty of this addicting snack mix sitting on the table at the annual Halloween BOO-ffet, since devils, ghosts, goblins, and maybe even prissy princesses will eat it up fast.
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
9 cups popcorn, salted lightly, but unbuttered
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup red cinnamon candies
dash cayenne pepper
6-10 drops cinnamon oil, depending how spicy you want it
Red paste or gel food coloring
3/4 cup Craisins
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place the chopped almonds on a baking sheet; bake 7-10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove from the oven and place in a large bowl.
- Turn the oven down to 250°.
- Mix the butter and corn syrup in a saucepan; stir over medium heat until the butter is melted; stir in the sugar.
- Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture boils.
- Add the water, cinnamon candies, and cayenne pepper.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring, until the cinnamon candies are dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon oil and enough drops red food coloring to make a bright red syrup.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn and almonds; stir until evenly mixed.
- Transfer the popcorn mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Let cool, stir in the Craisins, and transfer to a serving bowl.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 180 Calories from Fat 90
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 50% Protein 5% Carb. 45%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 45 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 4%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.