Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding Recipe
This version of bread pudding, which contains juicy apples, raisins, and a delicious cinnamon custard, is quick and easy, since it’s made in the slow cooker. It comes out perfectly every time, and has crispy parts around the edges with soft creamy parts in the middle – the best of all worlds to please everyone. It will remind you of desserts that were served in bygone days by grandmas everywhere.
1/2 pound stale French bread, (half of a large loaf)
1/2 cup raisins
3 cups apples, pared, cored, and diced
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups milk
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Cut the bread into 1" cubes; place them in the crock with the raisins and apples. Toss lightly.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, milk, butter, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the bread mixture and press the bread down to soak up the liquid.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn to the high setting, and let cook one hour.
- Turn the slow cooker down to low and let cook an additional 3-4 hours. Tilt the lid slightly during the last hour to evaporate extra moisture.
- Serve with the sauce.
- Microwave: Measure the brown sugar and butter in a microwaveable container. Microwave on high for 2 minutes; stir well.
Add the cream and microwave 1 minute; stir well and microwave an additional 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is boiling. Stir well and add the vanilla.
- Stovetop: Whisk brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Whisk in cream and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 397 Calories from Fat 192
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 6% Carb. 45%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 145 mg
Sodium 353 mg
Total Carbohydrate 45 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 11%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.