As the days get shorter and the nights get colder, crisp apples start to appear in farmer’s markets, roadside stands, and grocery stores. While the apples are delicious on their own, fall is a perfect time to bake breads and desserts using apples. The following Apple Oat Bars are great served as a snack – they are very moist and flavorful. They are also great served in larger squares with a scoop of ice cream as a dessert. Although any type of apple is okay to use, some of the good cooking apples like Granny Smith add a little tartness to the bars. Jonathan, Golden Delicious, and Fuji are also good in these bars.
While most desserts aren’t considered “healthy,” these Apple Oat Bars contain some healthy ingredients which supply fiber, antioxidants, and even a little protein. Using whole wheat flour gives the bars a nutty flavor, but in a pinch, white flour can be substituted. Another time, try substituting dried cranberries for the raisins. Although these bars are not fancy, they are good, and are sure to become a favorite.
24 small bars
2 Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons cold milled flax, or wheat germ
1 1/3 cups oats
1/3 cup chopped walnut(s)
2 tablespoons raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 9 or 7 x 11 inch shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Peel and core the apples; slice them into 1/4" thick slices and set aside
- Cream the butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and flax; mix well.
- Stir in the oats.
- Press 1/2 of the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Arrange the apples over the top.
- Sprinkle the walnuts and raisins over the apples.
- Crumble the remaining dough evenly over the apples, walnuts, and raisins and press evenly to completely cover them.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool, then cut into bars.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 115 Calories from Fat 52
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 7% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 109 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 4%