Basic Sugar Cookie Mix Recipe
Basic cookies made from this mix are easy enough for older children to make by themselves (although it’s a good idea to have a little adult supervision whenever an oven is being used). For those with some cooking skills, dough made from this mix can be rolled and cut into shapes for all of the holidays or anytime. New recipes using this mix will be posted on the Desserts site at BellaOnline, so watch for them. With this mix, almost everyone (including you) has time to make homemade sugar cookies.
About 200 small cookies
12 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons baking powder
5 cups sugar
3 cups butter
1 cup shortening
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
- Store in a cool place for up to 3 months.
- Basic Sugar Cookies: Mix 3 3/4 cups mix with 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon extract (vanilla, lemon, almond, etc.).
- Rolled Cookies: Roll out on a floured pastry cloth 1/4" to 1/3" thick and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges barely begin to brown.
- Balls: Scoop 1" balls from the basic sugar cookie mixture; place on baking sheets 2" apart.
- Roll in sprinkles or sugar if desired.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 85 Calories from Fat 37
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 4% Carb. 52%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 8 mg
Sodium 65 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.