Homemade mixes are such timesavers, that I’m excited to finally introduce a quick and easy Basic Pie Crust Mix to add to your pantry shelves. This adaptable mix not only makes it easy to prepare flaky, buttery, and delicious pie crust in minutes, but it serves as the base for dozens of different types of bars, appetizers, main dishes, and desserts. It only takes 15 minutes or so to make the basic mix, but it will save hours in hands-on time in measuring, mixing, and cleaning up.
The mix can be stored in a cool place on the pantry shelf for 2-3 months, or in the refrigerator for up to a year. For those who don’t want to be bothered with rolling out dough, the basic crust can be pressed into a pie plate for baking rather than having to roll and crimp. Recipes using this mix will be added to both the Quick Cooking and Dessert sites on BellaOnline.com periodically, so watch the sites or sign up for the newsletter on both (or either) sites to get the recipes as soon as they come out.
Makes 10 pie shells
10 cups flour
4 teaspoons salt
3 cups cold butter
1 cup shortening
- Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter in chunks and cut it into the flour along with the shortening until it looks like cornmeal. Try not to overmix, as it will clump together. Although this doesn’t affect the outcome of finished products, it is easier to measure and store when crumbly.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool place up to 3 months or in the refrigerator up to a year.
- For each crust: Mix 1 1/3 cups mix with 2-3 tablespoons ice water until the mixture forms a soft dough that holds together. The amount of water depends on the humidity in your area – use less water in dry areas and more in humid climates. Work the dough as little as possible.
- Roll out to a 10" circle on a floured pastry cloth or surface.
- Lift the dough over the rolling pin and place it in a 9" pie plate; trim and flute the edges.
- If making a pie to be baked with filling inside, proceed with recipe; if baking the plain shell, prick with a fork and chill 30 minutes in the fridge or 15 minutes in the freezer.
- Place in a 425° oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 144 Calories from Fat 89
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 62% Protein 5% Carb. 33%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 187 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%